POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Rand() problems (rand.inc and with functions) : Re: Rand() problems (rand.inc and with functions) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rand() problems (rand.inc and with functions)
From: Redbeard
Date: 11 Nov 2001 17:54:22
Message: <3bef019e@news.povray.org>
news:3becf762$1@news.povray.org...
> In article <3becade9@news.povray.org> , "Redbeard"
> <red### [at] wvadelphianet> wrote:
>
> > Parse Error: Expected 'function identifier', } found instead
> >
> > I'm not exactly sure what this error is intended to mean.
>
> It thinks "rand" is a declared function because it doesn't know what else
> rand could be.  This is the correct behavior.
>
>     Thorsten

I just would have thought that the error would point out rand, or at least
something closer to rand.  If an unknown identifier in the form of a called
function (i.e. function { Test(x) }) is parsed, the error is "Expected
'operator', ( found instead"  This makes a little more sense to me.  Why would
rand (which probably shouldn't be visible to the function parser) generate a
different error?

I'm not questioning the judgment, it's just that the message (as it stands)
doesn't make sense, epsecially if someone decides to try to use rand in a
function.

Michael